Day 12/12
At Sea (heading to Amsterdam)
Just finished my last day of work. I can't believe I made it! I'm happy to be going home, but also kinda sad that this adventure is over. I've had a lot of ups and downs, but overall it's been an amazing experience. I've met so many great and interesting people, that I hope I'll see again one day. Actually, it's kinda sad saying goodbye to everyone knowing you might never see them again.
For the past few days I've been looking forward to this moment, but it didn't feel real until I handed over my bags to security. My little room looks so empty now! all the photos from the walls gone (I'm going to miss these magnetic walls!). I'm pretty amazed that all my stuff fit into the bags I had (2 I originally brought with me and 1 I had to buy in Miami to fit all my uniform in). It's going to be difficult to carry all these to my hostel by myself, but I'm sure I'll manage. I'm staying at the same hostel I went to last time I visited Amsterdam (in 2005!), it's really close to Centraal Station. I'm really going to enjoy my day... a whole day without work!
The more that I talk to the others from my training session in Miami, I'm beginning to realize that I had it really good on my ship. The itinerary, schedule, team... I feel quite grateful (even though at times I complained a whole lot). I hope that my next contract will be even better, but I doubt it.
I'm about to go for a farewell drink with my team in the crew bar. The crew admin took away my card/account, so I can't buy anything (or go on the internet) so if I can convince someone to let me use their account then I'll post this tonight, if not then what you're reading is old news, hah. I'll update again when I get to the hostel (free wifi, ohh yeah!).
Most of all, I can't wait to get home and be in my own bed, spending time with my family and friends, relaxing and doing anything I want to do (which for the first few days might just be sleeping & eating & doing nothing at all :)
------------------
Aug 2nd, at the cruise terminal, 9:30am
I didn't sleep much last night so I'm really tired. I had to meet at 7:30am and then waited an hour and a hlaf to actually leave the ship cause the buses didn't arrive on time. Once I got to the bus the admin people were all like, "you booked your own hotel, you can just leave." so I pretty much waited for nothing. I thought I had to go to immigration with everyone else, but apparently not, because I don't need a visa. I feel kinda weird, just walking away with all my stuff to do my own thing. Freedom at last. If only I had someone to help me with my luggage... why do I have so much stuff?!?! I'm going to take a taxi to the hostel, even though it's only a 10-15 minutes walk. Then I will probably take a nap after I check in.
No comments:
Post a Comment