Today I'm in Aruba, the port town is called Oranjestad (translation: Orangetown), I'm using the wifi in the Dunkin' Donuts/Little Caesers/Baskin Robbins store, and it's actually fast for a change. I'm getting so fed up with slow internet, which is why I haven't updated for a while. The 'downtown' area is walking distance from the port, which is nice, but it's all so touristy! Lots of shopping, mostly jewelry stores (almost every other store, or sometimes 5 stores in a row) there's also some cool indoor/outdoor malls with high end stores like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Calvin Klein, Guess, Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, etc. There's also a good amount of cheap souvenir type places selling hand made crafty-type things.
This morning I had the unfortunate pleasure of dressing up in a furry head-to-toe turtle costume for 3.5 hours in the sun, posing for pictures with the guests. It was really hot and smelly, I did not enjoy it. It was nice to not have to smile for a change (I swear my mouth hurts so much for constantly smiling!) but I found myself instinctively smiling inside the head from time to time, hah. There was a nice breeze, so when I was able to take the head part of the costume off it was really nice, so I guess it could have been worse.
I shot my first formal night the other day, I took restaurant shots and portraits. I am beginning to get more confident behind the camera and getting the guests to pose. The first time taking pictures in the restaurant was very nerve wracking. But the second time (there's an early & late seating) was much better, mainly because there are less people in the late seating.
My back is feeling better also. I went to see the doctor and they just gave me some muscle relaxing cream and ibuprofen. When I began working I kinda forgot about the pain, but as soon as I stopped and sat for a while (fortunately/unfortunately that didn't happen often) the pain came back really intensely. It's pretty much all better now :)
I've been taking naps in the afternoon lately, rather than going out in the ports. Mainly because I need more sleep, but also because I know they're all going to have the same kinda things. 2 days ago we were in Tobago. I made some jokes to the Canadian guests that we're back in Canada, cause the port town is called Scarborough! I was shooting the gangway photos, and pretty much everybody was coming back after only 10-20 minutes. They all said it was very disappointing, and all the shops were closed because it was a Sunday. I was kinda disappointed too, cause I was excited to see Tobago, but I just slept instead.
I'm nearing the end of my first cruise, but it feel like I've already been here forever. I can't wait to get paid for the first time :) Only 5 or 6 more cruises until the transatlantic crossing (that's still 3 months away though). I like to think about it in number of cruises: 12 cruises in my 6 month contract, so I'm just about 1/12 of the way done! If I wasn't so excited about Europe, I would consider ending my contract early, but I know it will be so exciting to see Northern Europe and it'll be like a whole new experience. The Caribbean is nice and all, but every island is too much the same. Maybe I need to start going on some excursions like dolphin watching, snorkeling and stuff. But I'm also trying to save money, so sleep is always the best option.
I have some postcards to mail, but can't find a mailbox.... I'm on a mission now. If I don't have your address already and you want a postcard just email it to me (heathercooze@homail.com)
Cruise lingo 101: some common words/phrases spoken onboard (or in my team, specifically)
-talka talka: when someone talks too much, or you have to do some BS talking "she was all talka talka" or "when you're done talka talka come see me"
-super: everyone uses the adjective super before anything "that's super cool/super awesome" or "that guy/girl is super hot" or "that's super hard"
-the best ____ ever!: everyone uses this phrase to describe anything from "the best photo ever" or "the best turtle ever" or "the best camera ever" (said super excitedly and occasionally sarcastically)
-eh? or ah?: people say that Canadians use 'eh' but we're not the only ones!! it seems like everyone has some kind of version or way of saying eh?
As the weeks go by and the weather heats up that turtle costume is going to become a total health hazard... if you faint the customers will have to lie down on the deck beside you for their pics - a surefire sales killer.
ReplyDeleteYes, all Caribbean islands are similar at first glance. You really need more than a few hours in a place to get its real character and get beyond the tourist tat. Guess that's why I've never taken a cruise.
Hope your back is better soon!