Thursday, February 17, 2011

St.Lucia (Castries)

Today we are in Castries, St.Lucia. The islands are all starting to look similar: port town with shops (selling same shit), people on the street trying to sell you stuff/get you in a taxi (cause all the good shopping is downtown, I just caught on), lots of wifi cafes and American fast food (McDonalds, Wendy's, KFC, Dominoes). I noticed there are lots of schools around this area (many kids in uniforms). I guess it's lunch time, cause they are all roaming the streets and buying candy from street vendors (cute!). There are lots of locals in this area. Only a short distance from the port are lots of local shops (clearly not for tourists/visitors).

I guess by the next cruise I will know what to do in each port, but for now I don't want to stray far from the ship (fear of getting lost/not boarding on time!). I have yet to go to a beach, or even see one! But I love talking to the guests and seeing what they did each day in port. yesterday there was a pirate ship party/tour that looked like a lot of fun. Daniel, the videographer, went on an excursion to swim with dolphins, pet sting rays and snorkeling and stuff. I saw some of the footage and it looks like so much fun! I'm definitely jealous of his position (good motivation to work my way up).

95% of the people on my ship are old. Like, retired couples who cruise all the time. I guess because it's a 14-day cruise, many people can't afford to take that much time off work (and to afford this cruise in general!) Most of the guests I talk to have been on dozens of cruises, some have even cruised the same ship multiple times! Also, everyone is white. Old, rich and white (also grey-haired, slow-walkers & wrinkly.... sorry but it's true!!). It makes it hard to remember certain people, 'cause they all look the same! Like when I'm trying to help someone find their picture on the wall, I don't want to offend them by pointing to someone else, but it's really hard to tell them apart! Something I have to get used to I guess. The 5% who are young people are easy to remember, and by young I mean under 40. There are only about 5 children I have seen, and 10 people who I would consider "young adults" (couples or friends, or with their parents). There is one disabled kid in a wheelchair, with his whole family from Scotland, and he's so adorable! When he sees his picture in the gallery he gets so excited and it really puts a smile on my face :)

Tonight I am shooting my first portrait studio! It's called "Lifestyle Portraits" because it's more casual, not very posed. It's a white backdrop that extends to the floor, and the guests can pretty much do anything they want. I take about 5-6 shots of each couple/group. In the past 2 nights, there has only been 6-7 people who take these kinds of portraits, so I imagine it will be a slow night for me. But it's good to get some practice. I'm a little bit nervous though.

Time to upload some photos while I'm on shore!

Scratch that: the internet connection keeps dropping & I have to re-connect, making it impossible to upload anything. Also my battery is dying and there's no outlets around :(

No comments:

Post a Comment