Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Destination Unknown



We haven't been told yet where we are going (I'll find out on Friday). But I've been doing some research because they will ask me where I would like to go tomorrow (we are having a one-on-one interviews). At first I was all "anything but Disney!", for many reasons: too family-oriented, lots of children, having to be annoyingly happy at all times even when not working, but also because I dislike Disney as a brand and company/corporation. But the more I talk to others who have worked on Disney ships, I'm starting to see the benefits of it.

1. More families & kids who actually want to have their photos taken... meaning they will be more willing to pose & most likely will buy more photos than a regular cruise
2. It's not kids everywhere all the time, they have a ton of activities to keep them occupied.
3. Part of my job on other cruises is to dress up in silly costumes and pose for pictures... Disney does this already so the photographers won't have to (score!)
4. The gangway shooting we practiced the other day does not apply to the Disney cruises, one less event for me to shoot! (you can imagine how difficult it would be trying to stop people to take a picture who have just been stuck on the ship and now they finally have the chance to visit a port)
5. They have some awesome itineraries & destinations, such as Europe, Alaska & Pacific Coast, Transatlantic, Caribbean, Mexico, Panama Canal and others (I would pretty much love to go any of those places!)
6. I won't technically be working for Disney directly, I work for Image, so I won't feel as bad taking money from the Mouse House



My next cruise line of choice would be Cunard, a British-based company that departs from Southampton. It's a high-end/luxury cruise that also has a lot of amazing destinations, including a 42-day world cruise!!! They also have a Scandinavia route that would be amazing to see. Also Eastern Mediterranean.



Norwegian has a 7-day Hawaii cruise that has the option to stay overnight on both Maui & Kauai, which would be a cool experience and give me a chance to get off the boat.

Celebrity has a lot of amazing destinations as well, like this Scandinavian/Russia cruise that departs from Amsterdam. But it's very unlikely I will go, because the earliest departure is in May :(



The more I think about working on a large ship, the more it scares me. My training manager currently works on the Oasis of the Seas (worlds largest cruise ship) and she said after 6 months she didn't even get to see everything on the ship! Larger ships mean more passengers (up to 6,000!) which would take more time to get them on and off the ship at each port. The busier the ship is, the harder I work. So I think I will be happy on a small-medium sized ship, at least for my first contract, until I get the hang of things.



It would be great if my ship changes itinerary midway through my contract, or I was transfered to another. That way I can see more places. I think that no matter where I end up, I will have the time of my life and make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment