Monday, February 14, 2011

Life onboard (so far)


me in my tuxedo for my first formal night

The ship I'm on is very nice. There's lots of art all over the place, in every hallway and all the main public areas. Mainly framed photographs, but also some drawings and some sculptures. It's a nice touch, I will try and get some pictures of my favourite ones. I met a guy in the training session who is the art auctioneer in the art gallery onboard (who goes on cruises to buy art? I thought that was weird)... but a pretty sweet job. He says he only works about 3-4 hours a day. His name is John and he's from Texas, an older guy, used to serve in the Marines or something. He said he's got free internet in the art gallery so I can just stop in if I need to use it :) Other than him, and my photo team, I haven't really talked to anyone else. John says to be careful cause I'll get hit on a lot (guys out number girls by far) but I haven't found that happening much. Everyone is friendly though, smiles and says hi while you pass them in the hall. Tonight there is a Valentines crew party but I'm not sure if I'm going to go. I've been really tired lately, trying to adjust and take in all the new experiences.

Tomorrow we are in St.Thomas, which is apparently one of the best ports. I hope I'll have some free time to explore and take pictures, but I have a feeling I'll be working (and possibly dressing up in a silly costume). We are only given our schedule one day in advanced, so it's hard for me to know when I'll have free time.

I wanted to upload some pictures of my cabin for you to see how tiny it is, but it's taking way too long, so I think I'll just wait until I'm on shore to post them. The internet is connected by satellite, which explains why it's so slow.

I have a 4 hour break so I'm going to take a nap and then explore the ship some more. The first day was so overwhelming, but now I am getting familiar. The right side (when facing forward) is called Starboard, the left side is Port. The photo gallery is on Deck 4 at the front of the ship (next to the theatre), the restaurant is at the back ("aft") of the ship. Deck 5 (right above the photo gallery) are the shops. Deck 3 aft is the cinema (where the training takes place). The crew/staff mess (eating areas) are on Deck 1 (mid-ship), but after-hours I can eat on Deck 10, which is the guest buffet (made-to-order foods like stir-fry, pasta, pizza, salad, sushi and loads of desserts :) My room is on Deck 0 (aft), the second lowest deck (the bottom of the ship is called the "Tween" deck and that's where you can find the crew bar and laundry). My emergency station is Deck 5 Fire Zone 6 (mid-ship). As a new hire, I don't really have much responsibilities when it comes to emergency requirements. I have a safety quiz tomorrow on all the stuff I've learned so far. I hope I never have to experience a real emergency!

The photo team is: Mark (Business Manager) from the Philippines, Fredsel (Production Manager) from Philippines also, Charleston (Sales Manager) from India, Daniel (Videographer) from Spain, Jan (Photog 2) from South Africa, Ivan (Photog 2) from Serbia (or Croatia, I forget), Ming (everyone calls her Evelyn though, or sometimes China lol) is from China (she's a Photog 1 but should be a Photog 2, just too lazy to complete her competencies), Alena (Photog 2) is from Belarus (my "roommate"), Alex (Photog 1) is from Belarus also, he was in the training session that I was supposed to be in, and just joined the ship on the previous cruise.

Photog 1's only make commission on the sales of digital cameras (I've sold 3 so far!), DVDs (sold about 5), folios & frames (none, yet!) and all other accessories. After completing some online courses ( Image U "competencies") you can advance to Photog 2 (where you get commission on sales of photos as well as all other stuff), after you complete your courses for Photog 2 you advance to Photog 3 (more responsibilities), where you get a higher base-wage, and also more % commission. I want to move up as fast as possible :) but if the internet is slow it might take me some time to finish my online courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment