Saturday, February 5, 2011

Flight Fuckups

15:44
So our flight to Atlanta has been delayed over an hour because the plane is being de-iced in Detroit where they apparently have freezing rain and fog :/ This means we will most likely miss our connecting flight from Atlanta to Miami (we only had 58min wait in between flights originally). If we do miss that flight, the next one to Miami is not until 22:00, meaning we will arrive in Miami at 00:02. That's a long day of traveling! I wish we had a direct flight to Miami :(

16:11
So the plane is still in Detroit! So we will definitely miss our connecting flight. The new scheduled arrival time in Atlanta is 21:30! So we will just make our 22:00 connection. Everyone at the gate looks very annoyed and pissed off. The agents look super stressed, it's just a bad situation all around. I've been at Pearson since 13:30 and our flight was originally scheduled at 15:38, now it's leaving at 18:35 :( :(

16:24
Our flight has been CANCELLED!!!! There are no other flights going to Miami tonight. The earliest we can get there is tomorrow morning, but we are freaking out because we don't know what to do!

17:02
Our names are called to the agents desk and it appears they are trying to re-route us quickly. As it turns out there is a fully loaded plane headed to NYC right next to our gate, so we run to make it on that. It's a tiny plane (CJR200), only 13 rows and 4 seats across (and only half full). We have been sitting in it for a while because of the bad weather/traffic combo. Our plane needs to be de-iced but there is a delay because I guess every plane needs de-icing at this point. We got a connecting flight in JFK leaving at 20:00, so hopefully we won't miss that one! I'm glad we don't have to sleep overnight at Pearson, but I was almost convinced that was destined to happen! To make things worse I didn't bring a phone (but Alyssa did, thankfully!) I have my laptop though, so between the 2 of us we got our bases covered :) We've tried to contact some people at Image, but no luck yet.

17:49
The flight attendant just informed us that we are "snowed in" and will be here "for a while"... on the plane! I'm not sure what's worse, being stuck at the gate & not sure if you will be getting on a plane, or being stuck on a plane & not sure if you will be taking off or getting off! As I look out the ice incrusted window, I can tell it's getting dark, but I can't see much else. I'm starting to get hungry, good thing I packed snacks!

18:05
Now they are claiming that "reduced visibility" at JFK is what's holding us up. The captain says 10 more minutes and then we will head back to the gate :(

18:34
We're back at the gate, but still onboard the plane. The captain, crew & flight attendant don't even know what is going on or what we are doing. Very frustrated.

18:40
ok now we are re-feuling and "trying again"... our original arrival time at JFK was for 18:30 HAHA, we have honestly been sitting on the plane for what would have been the entire duration of the flight... We will for sure miss our 20:00 connections, let's just hope there is another flight going to Miami tonight!!!! I wish there was wifi on the plane. I'm typing this on text edit. I am tired and hungry.

18:49
I predict it will be another hour until we are in the air, since we're still waiting for "the word" to go ahead, and we still need to be de-iced. It's quite possible that everything will be backed up at JFK also. I just wanna be in Miami!!

19:28
They told us that our connecting flight from JFK to MIA was NOT delayed, and so we would miss that connection if we stayed on the plane, and they WOULDN'T pay for a hotel because it's the weathers fault and not theirs. So instead of risking missing our connection and having to book a hotel. I am so lucky to have this girl Alyssa! Her parents are going to pick us up and I'm going to stay the night at their place in Ajax, then they are driving us back at 4AM tomorrow!!! Let's just hope the storm has passed and not gotten worse in the morning.

19:45
WOW, so Alyssa's parents are even nicer than I thought. They are putting us up at the Sheridan for the night! Since we have to be back here at 4am, I guess that beats driving in this snow storm. It's been such a long, frustratingly banal day.

No comments:

Post a Comment